Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Run to your houses, fall upon your knees,
 Pray to the gods to intermit the plague
 That needs must light on this ingratitude"


Trust me, this is one thing I did not want to blog about. However, I had a talk with Antoreep and he said that there is only one way of letting people know and telling them on their faces what kinds of bastards they are. We decided that the only way to let more people know was to write.   

Go read this.

When I arrived in college, at around one fifteen, I saw that gate number four had crumbled down. One of my friends said, ironically, that she thought that the gate had been built and it was being opened ceremonially. At first I didn’t know what to do and went to the department, only to find people carrying on with their work and making yesterday’s biggest joke. Let me tell you the joke at first. There is this play being staged. It’s a big thing, you know. Every year the department puts up a play. Great academic and extra curricular enterprise. So one of the props in this play is an air gun. The joke is that just when this air gun was fired, the gate fell down. Funny, innit? I also saw a few of my professors in the department. There was a meeting, some moderation business and whatever shit I know not of. Everyone is busy. Very busy.

Once I got down, I gave Antoreep a call and he said that they needed people out there. After I went in, the worst day of my life had begun. What I saw yesterday cannot be described in words. When I went in, there was one more person trapped inside. There were not enough security guards. The workers out there, the security guards, the firebrigade…but there were not enough people. What surprised me was that there were very few students. I just want to know something. What if a student had been trapped inside? The boys we saw on television from the engineering faculty writing on posters… would they have come to help out? I couldn’t believe the curiosity of people. We were unable to remove them and had to shout and scream and push in order to ensure that the ambulance got in. None of the professors from our esteemed departments came down except for Amlanda and Manashda. Few were gawking from the ledges. Spectacle, it was. 

Students like you and me stood there. Smiling and taking photographs on their cell phones. Let me not open my foul mouth regarding the press. What do we call this? Sadism? Apathy? Indifference? Bastardy? I have no fucking words. 

How could people conduct a rehearsal when one person was buried a few meters away? One of them came and told me today that he was feeling useless. Indeed. That is what all of us are. Useless. If there had been more people, maybe one more life could be saved. But who gives a damn anyway, eh? The fourth labourer was inside the rubble for two and a half hours. I just pray that he died instantly.

I detest myself for being part of an institution which merely tries to disavow responsibility. I detest myself for calling these people my friends. I detest myself for having sat in a class taken by many of these professors who do not come down to help people when they are dying. 

I do not know what inhibitions, problems, instructions from authorities they had. 

I have seen the way in which many students and teachers behave when there is a problem amongst students. Few go down and involve themselves and try to sort things out. Oddly enough, it is the same group of students and the same group of professors who actually go out and do something. Others just fucking don’t care. They give a rat’s ass about what happens to the students. And when it comes to labourers, it fucking doesn’t matter. Even death does not stir them one bit. 

These people had also been employed by the university. These people were working in a five star university which is renowned for its engineering department. Nobody told them to wear helmets. Maybe they wouldn’t. But what about taking concrete actions and ensuring that these people take the precautionary measures? And what the hell happens to all the money that UGC gives us? Aritroda and I heard one of the officials saying that the same contractor had done the work for gate number three. The same materials had been used and so on. Well, if that is the case, it is mere luck that gate number three has not collapsed yet, as Sion said.   

Give me answers, somebody. I cannot close my fucking eyes. Each time I do so, I see the face of that man who was trapped inside for two and a half hours.  

We live in different worlds, all of us. Last evening, I was walking down to gate no. 5 with Antoreep and Paromitadi. Milonda was crowded, as usual. There was a gang of students in front of Worldview. Another group with one person singing Beatles and playing the guitar. Another group smoking up. Playing cards. How long will we pretend that nothing has happened? They say it hurts when its home. What about that? Has it stopped hurting even when it happens where you study? In your own university?    

Carrying on as if nothing had happened just a few hours ago. As if gate number four had not fallen down. As if no one had died. I do not know how. None of us knows how. One of my friends said yesterday that all of us have blood on our conscience. Well, do we have a conscience at all?

17 comments:

Anoo. said...

What is really missing in our environment at JU, is really the urge to help people out selflessly. I'm convinced that most of those students who had a choice to help out and yet did not, felt that helping out this person (nameless and faceless to those concerned) was not Important Enough. This post hurts where it should.

rukmini said...

I saw people at University make posters and a makeshift memorial structure out of what could possibly be cardboard boxes covered with chart paper today. I am almost certain the people making these weren't even present at the site of the catastrophe. Or maybe they were. Either way, I fail to realize what that is supposed to achieve. Indifference, I can deal with. But pretentiousness...

Arse Poetica said...

I wasn't there yesterday, then. Neither was Prayag. We came as soon as we heard. Prayag later told me that if there were 20 people who cared enough, bare hands would have sufficed to unearth that man. I wish we were there.

And the rest is silence.

rukmini said...

@Ahona: I know when Prayag came. It took more than just bare hands to clear the debris. But those less-than-20 pairs of bare hands did get the work started, nonetheless.

March Hare said...

A friend asked, ei JU-i naaki young ideas er hotbed?

Ideas. Indeed. Just that.

Oshtorombha said...

Anurima: I agree. The problem with us is that we are too engrossed in our own little worlds to care. Our ideas of what is important and what is not are scary, to say the least. I have written this with the hope that at least one person who was there but didn't come to help yesterday feels ashamed. I want to be assured of the fact that all is not lost. We must not forget those who had to give their lives just for the sake of a swanky new gate. This kind of indifference makes people walk by someone who is dying on the road. Yesterday, these students who took out their cell phones to click pictures proved that education does not make human beings out of us.

Rukmini: Both indifference and pretentiousness are things so common here that they have become a habit. If even death cannot stir them and affect them, what will? One of my professors told me yesterday that someday soon, when even a teacher dies in the campus, students will behave as if nothing has happened. If this is what our teachers fear, we must hang our heads in shame.

Ahona: That is the point. We needed more people. And that is the fact, there were not enough people. Why this happened is not rocket science. Silence, indeed, is all that we can afford. At least, let us not drown the screams of the dead.

March Hare: Ideas, yes. And so many. Scary, isn't it? Ideas and thoughts and words. These little worlds we create around us.

Heathcliff said...

This is absolutely apalling. I have no words. they can creat a havock over a dumb-ass professor, Sanskriti, SFI etc etc.. what not!! But couldnt lift a finger to save a life???

people actually died???? in an acclaimed institution. I dont care if its JU or bokultala girls!!! People should not die like this... not like this.

Oshtorombha said...

heathcliff ranting: Yes. This is what I want to say. People should not die like this. Nobody should die like this. This was not a freak accident. It was a result of irresponsible and corrupt behaviour on the university's part. What makes it even more shocking is the indifference.

Rhea Silvia said...

I was not there and I am sorry I was not. I got to know of it much later. I don't know how people could ignore somebody dying. I don't know how some of those very people could pretend that they hadn't done just that. Kudos to those who were there and helped.

Sukhaloka said...

You know what hits hardest? People feel shame when all their friends are buying something and they don't want to. They'll buy what they can't afford to avoid shame.
Where does this shame go when said friends are lending a hand in an emergency, when any help would be help?

Parjanya said...

I wish I was there... really wish I was there... but wishing it will be no more than a retroactive fantasy...

Yes, we are nonchalant spectators, and often shamelessly so... vicariously watching others die... and saying to ourselves "glad it wasn't me"... i watched a dog bleed to death once... a car had run over its head... I was too young and too petrified by the sight of blood to do anything...

the nonchalance hurts big time... especially when helplessness becomes an excuse... to those who were there and did all they could to help... you atleast proved youre still human...

Kaichu said...

I have no words. I got re-directed here from Jijo's words and I cannot fucking believe this.

Even sitting thousands of miles away, JU and JUDE holds one of the biggest places in my heart. Which probably explains the guilt and horror at the indifference and apathy that is surging through me now. I feel responsible, just because I identify myself as part of that community.

Thank you for posting this. It needed to be said.

Oshtorombha said...

Rhea: Thanks. Those who helped were doing something natural and something which, I believe, must be reflexive. The surprising bit is about those who did not. I am not saying that all those who did not come down and help are horrible people or something. The problem is with the attitude. Many of my friends said that they did not come out because they thought that they wouldn't be of much help. I guess all of us have to think that, in our own little ways, we can make a difference. When that feeling comes in us, we become human.

Oshtorombha said...

Suki: You are right. Any help is help. We just need to go ahead and make ourselves useful. There is no bravado in pondering about the overall pointlessness of life and thinking how insignificant and useless we are when just doing our very little bit helps.

Parjanya: That is my point.Helplessness should not be an excuse. I am nobody to talk about being useless or useful, but I just feel that we must go ahead when people are in need. The day we stop inventing excuses, things will be better.

Oshtorombha said...

Kaichu: Dida, you are right. Even I felt responsible because I am part of this department that I love and belong to. All of us are responsible for this kind of behaviour. It was difficult for me, too, to say these things. This post is very harsh, perhaps, in retrospect, but all of us need to sit up and reflect upon our attitude. Perhaps we are a bit too disillusioned, perhaps we have become a bit too indifferent. But then, when lives are at stake, shouldn't we forget the bitterness, the indifference and the disillusionment?

Poorna Banerjee said...

I think I remember once speaking about JUDE and JU with tears in my eyes... because that place made me feel I belonged.

Can I unbelong? Can I?

I have friends, I have made friends and I will continue to meet new people from JU and feel happy about meeting them but after reading your post and Jijo's I have nothing to say.. Apalling does not cover it. Shocked does not cover it. When I first heard about it I called up a friend of mine at JUDE (I will not say who) but I had no idea what happened until that night when I saw the TV and could not believe it because NO ONE, I REPEAT NO ONE, told me that this INDIFFERENCE prevailed. The person I called reassured me that there was nothing wrong just some minor fall and nothing has happened. This uninformed individual also told me that I was really "making a big deal of it". I read Jijo's post (and I can no longer find his blog so I think he's probably removed it with all the justified disgust he felt).
I would like to say sorry to the two dead workers and the two trapped, because, as Kaichu said, I feel responsible because I was once a member of that community. And I would like to ask you if we can open up a contributing sector or do something for those workers who died because of sheer lack of responsibility and indifference.

Elendil said...

I will just say thank you to you and the first few who actually helped. It does not matter who didn't care. Those who don't care never will. But I didn't know that life went on as usual in the department while people knew there was someone inside the rubble. That is beyond indifference. That is evil.

That said however, you cannot fault people for playing guitar at Milonda the next day. The first thing I learned about death is that it is like a disease. When it happens to you, it happens. And nobody else can share in your grief. Nobody else cares. They still show people dancing on MTV. It's nothing to be sad about either. It's better to be honestly indifferent than to feign pity. Life goes on. What IS horrible though, is that while people were STILL buried in there, nobody did anything. Unbelievable.