Monday, April 6, 2009

"Dayaar- e - dil ki raat mein
chirag sa jala gaya
mila nahin toh kya hua
woh shakl toh dikha gaya..."

Few things are as refined as Urdu poetry. There is a touch of great sophistication in sorrow, a great dignity in sadness that this language can express. Of the many things that I wish for, I wish I could write something like this. Two lines that have a perfect balance of expression. A couplet that says all you would want to say in two hundred pages! The economy of this poetry overwhelms.

Faiz is sheer genius. Give him the Nobel Prize.

Because these four lines say exactly what I feel! :)

4 comments:

ananya chatterjee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elendil said...

I wish I understood Urdu. It's beautiful to hear even though I understand only half the words. I have only this one song in Urdu, it's by Kailash Kher, called Allah Ki Bande. It's got such lovely words. Made me cry once.

mojo said...

true, very true, i would really want to learn urdu sometime.
also :P

Oshtorombha said...

@ ananya: Yes, they are indeed amazing.

@ Elendil: Just start listening... you'll get the hang of it. Also, Allah ke Bande is not exactly Urdu. But it is a grand song. I love it too. :)

@ Mojo: Toke toh shuniye bujhiye gaan diye shob kori! And yes, :P